Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 And The Mayan Prophecy?

It's 2012 and I just cannot believe it! In my spirit, I am still hovering above the year 2000. During that time, I was residing in Pittsburgh, PA. The Y2K saga was raging and every news media in USA was blasting predictions upon predictions. Many interviews and reactions were on air and fear of a complete breakdown of the world's economy system was very real. Then the clock struck midnight and we crossed into 2000. 

Nothing bad happened. After a couple of weeks into the New Year, a pastor was giving all the food rations that he had stored in the basement of his church to the poor. Everybody climbed out of their private shelters of fear and began to air their frustrations at the media and those doomsday's advocates. 

Books on Y2K written my many so-called "Christian prophets" were at rock bottom prices. Before Y2K, these self-styled God's spokesmen had already made tons of money feeding the fear of believers. Then like a fog being hit by hot afternoon sun, they faded away with their cash safely stored in their bank accounts. The Christian community seemed to be so forgiving and some of these soothsayers came back into business almost before the year was over. If they were to live in Old Testament time, they would have been stoned to death for false prophecies.

This year, we are once again faced with an apparent crisis - the Mayan prophecy of the End of the World on 21 December 2012. Prophetic voices are already giving their opinions. The media is also broadcasting stories about this ancient prophecy and relevant books are marching in and out of bookstores all over the world. 

So, here we go again but I am unperturbed. Apart from still hovering over 2000, I have absolute faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as I had then. Like Paul the Apostle, I can say, "I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day." (2 Timothy 1:12).

No comments:

Post a Comment